The Ecological-Economic Zoning (EEZ) is a land use plan which goal is to achieve a sustainable development, harmonising the socioeconomic growth with the conservation of ecosystems.
The Macro-zoning (Macro-EEZ) corresponds to a macro-regional EEZ on a 1:1.000.000 scale, aiming at the provision of strategic land use indicators and the definition of areas for the detailed analysis of the EEZ.
The São Francisco River Basin covers an area of 640.000 km2, totalling 505 municipalities distributed over seven federal units (Alagoas, Bahia, Distrito Federal, Goiás, Minas Gerais, Pernambuco and Sergipe), and housing 15 million people.
NEMUS’ work will be guided by the following specific objectives:
- Strategic assessment of the Basin based on the existing Diagnosis of the Macro-EEZ;
- Development of trend and alternative scenarios for the Basin (for 2027 and 2040), considering the main transformation vectors of the land and their impacts;
- Organisation of participatory meetings with representative stakeholders of the Basin for discussing the prospective scenarios;
- Proposal for zoning and land use and occupation guidelines;
- Organisation of dialogue tables with representative sectors of the Basin for discussing the management proposal;
- Action plan of the guidelines and indicators for Macro-EEZ monitoring and evaluating;
- Geographic Database, metadata catalog and digital interactive atlas.